Press release

Two weeks left to vote in Fundación Cepsa’s Chicharritos project

02 Jun 2017

    • The eight sculptures will be relocated to the La Recova Arts Center next week
    • Public voting will end June 15

The eight Chicharritos [painted horse mackerel sculptures] that are currently brightening up Rambla de las Tinajas Boulevard in Santa Cruz will be relocated at the start of next week to the La Recova Arts Center in Isla de la Madera Square to allow school children to see them away from busy roads.

After two weeks on the boulevard, the Chicharritos will be transferred to this cultural space, which is one of the most important centers in the city. They will be on show until June 30, Tuesday through Saturday in the morning (11am through 1pm) and the afternoon (5pm through 8pm), and on Sundays from 11am through 2pm.

This project was developed by Fundación Cepsa and draws on the support of Santa Cruz de Tenerife City Council’s Autonomous Cultural Body (OAC). It has attracted a lot of visitors to the Rambla de las Tinajas, next to García Sanabria Park, and many votes have been received through social media.

The deadline for the public to vote for their three favorite pieces ends June 15. The public vote will account for 40% of the final decision, with the remaining 60% in the hands of a specialist judging panel.

Votes can be submitted through the following websites: www.fundacioncepsa.com and www.santacruzdetenerife.es.

The project
This cultural project involves one of the most important symbols of Tenerife’s capital and showcases the talent of the artists involved. Their work will then be permanently installed at various sites across Santa Cruz, forming part of the city’s artistic legacy.

Each of the works are made from fiberglass and polyester resin and stand 2.30 meters high, including their pedestals. They each reflect the individual vision of their creators about this important symbol of the city. The artists garnering the most votes will receive three prizes of €1,000, €500 and €300, respectively.

The eight works selected to be exhibited on Rambla de Santa Cruz were created by: Arganda Lorenzo Padrón (untitled); Francisco García González (El Chicharro disfrazado de dorada [Horse mackerel dressed in gold]); Inmaculada Juárez Pérez (Agua y vida mithologycal  [Mythological life and water]); Liseth Rodríguez Figuera (Chicharrito reflejo [Horse mackerel reflection]); Manuel Martín Díaz (Corazón de Santa Cruz [Heart of Santa Cruz]); Mónica Brito García (By Mercy Bouquet); Pablo Falcón Muñoz (Chicharro style); and Raiber González Hechevarría (Sueño de arco iris [Rainbow dream]).

Continue reading 3 min  min